Wednesday 1 December 2010

What's this "Farmgirl" stuff?





I did not manage to participate in Atlanta's Historical Costume Inspiration Festival, so I'll participate in Margery's Yuletide Farmgirl Festival. This one does not require having anything finished by a date. Just a blog post or more of them. That is much more manageable.

I've actually always lived in a town. So technically and practically I'm not a farmgirl; but deep down inside, in my roots, there is a bit of one. As T.G. Masaryk said in 1920s or 1930s, all Czech people have farmer blood. I'm a bit more removed in time from it, but it still is there. I'm still a bit of a Wallachian sheep herder - I have more tolerance for milk than is usual in adults; I actually need it - or Western-Bohemian fruit-grower. I'd definitely be hapless on a farm at first (I'm awfully impractical), but I'd get into it. I think.

It would be nice if I could finish the unfinished workdress by the time of the festival, but I doubt I'd manage that. It would be nice, because it's a workdress, even rural in inspiration, and it has wintry colours. But to be finished, it still requires several steps, including a high amount of handsewn eyelets. So no, I don't think I'll manage it. But I hope I'll manage it till Christmas. We'll see.

I bought a wide tape for underlining the openings that will be laced. (I hope this makes sense...) That thread/thin yarn is meant for sewing it there, because I cannot get proper thread in the light blue colour. Not cotton thread, at least, and polyester is not allowed anywhere near this dress! I know cotton is not very period either, but at least it's natural fibre - and because I'm working with a cotton fabric in the first place, the whole thing will be cotton. Except for the eyelets. I already have buttonhole silk in the perfect colour! I bought it some time ago on sale, just because I knew it was my kind of colour - even before I got the fabric. Stashing has its advantages.


I bought six meters of that tape, far more than I need for the dress. Because it's my kind of colour and I might need it again.

6 comments:

  1. I love the colour - I can't wait to see more of the dress!

    I won't be doing the Farmgirl festival. I'll just get depressed that it is trying to pretend it is summer here in the Southern Hemisphere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this sounds like so much fun!! I hope it goes splendidly. And thanks for letting us know about the link on our band blog. I went over a fixed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome! I was at first disappointed that the blog seemed not to be in existance, and then noticed the period... I love your music!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for joining in the festival! I love the way you wrote about the latent farmgirl in you=)
    I'm looking forward to seeing your completed workdress - it looks so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Latent farmgirl" - now that's a very good way to put it! :D

    ReplyDelete